This simple and DIY test can be used by anybody to help determine if a product is genuine Ithmid kohl.
All what is needed for it is a piece of magnet or magnetic object (like magnetic screwdriver) and a piece of paper.
- Pour some of the product (kohl) on the paper.
- Hold the paper with the Kohl on top so that you can run the magnet under it.
- Starting right under where the powder is, move the magnet around slowly.
- If the product is genuine Ithmid kohl, the magnet would have no effect.
- On the other hand, if it moves with the magnet, the product is likely not to be a genuine Ithmid kohl.
This is a well-known test amongst Ithmid kohl traders and enthusiasts.
Although it is difficult to say the basis on which it works, it is likely that the high lead content of fake Ithmid kohl products might be the reason why they get attracted by magnets.
Below is a a video posted by a concerned Saudi consumer which demonstrates the test.
The man tests samples of some widely available brands against a sample sourced from a local seller. Only the sample from the local dealer passes the test.