Two types of Ithmid kohl are found in Hijaz :
- Black ( also known as Hejazi hot) Ithmid kohl
- Red ( also known as Hejazi cold) Ithmid kohl
Red Hijazi ithmid kohl
First of all, this is not actually red, so do not run away based on hearing this. It is actually more of dark burgundy colour as can be seen from the photos.
“Red” and “Cold” are just mere descriptions used by arab sellers and traders as well as customers.
Why buy red Hijazi Ithmid kohl ?
Customers always ask what is the difference between the red hijazi ithmid and the black type.
Both kohl types are ithmid and have all the benefits of ithmid kohl mentioned in the Sunnah i.e growing eyelashes and vision enhancement. Both are also from Hijaz in Saudi Arabia.
However, the difference lies in that the red type is much lighter in weight and once ground into powder it is more smoother and finer than the black one. Because of this, it is less irritating in the eye on application. This is why it is referred to as “cold” ; it is less burning and feels ‘colder’ in the eyes.
These characteristics of the red hijazi ithmid arise partly from it containing less impurities than the black type. It is also partly due to slight difference in chemistry as it is well known in Geology and Chemistry that same type of rock can have varying chemical structure depending on location and the environment around it.
Why use ithmid kohl ?
- عَنْ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ رضي الله عنهماَالَ : قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ : (إِنَّ خَيْرَ أَكْحَالِكُمُ الْإِثْمِدُ يَجْلُو الْبَصَرَ وَيُنْبِتُ الشَّعْرَ)
رواه أبو داود (3878) والنسائي (5113) وابن ماجه (3497) ، وصححه الألباني في “صحيح أبي داود
Narrated by Ibn Abbaas, May Allah be pleased with him, that He صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ said ” Indeed the best of your Kohl is the Ithmid…It Enhances vision and Grows the hair“
وعَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ رضي الله عنهما أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ : (اكْتَحِلُوا بِالإِثْمِدِ فَإِنَّهُ يَجْلُو البَصَرَ ، وَيُنْبِتُ الشَّعْرَ) رواه الترمذي (1757) ، وصححه الألباني في “صحيح الترمذي
Narrated by Ibn Abbaas, May Allah be pleased with him, that He صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّ said : “” Use Ithmid as a Kohl for it enhances vision and grows hair”
Ithmid kohl benefits
- Improves and enhances sight and vision
- Makes the eyelashes grow- beautifies and protects eyes
- Acts as a trap cage for toxins, germs and impurities that could come into the eye.
- Can improve mind and mental clarity – this is mentioned in a da`eef hadith- found to be true with personal experience – Why not try it for yourself ?
Using ithmid Kohl
- The Sunnah is to apply Ithmid Kohl an odd-number of times in each eye, ideally 3 times in each eye. The prophet صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ said : “If anybody amongst you applies Kohl (in his eye), he has to do that in odd numbers”. [Reported by Ahmad and Al albani said that ‘it is a sound Hadith’].
And in Sunan Ibn Majah and others, Ibn Abbas, (Radiya Allahu Anhuma) said: “The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) used to have a Kohl container and used to apply Kohl 3 times in each eye“.
- It is best to apply Ithmid Kohl when going to sleep, as this was the common practice of the prophet.This allows for maximum absorption and benefit as the eyes are closed and resting.
- Women can also apply it during the day as a mascara/eyeliner for beautification while being mindful not do this in public to avoid attracting attention as highlighted by scholars.